Let me tell you something that’s going to blow your mind. I used tampons for a good 20 years of my life, and much like all the other topics I write about, I did it because everyone else was and I literally didn’t know there was another way. Sure there are pads if you want to throwback to your diaper days and feel disgusting for a week out of every month..ummm..hard pass. I still remember in great detail my struggles as a teen learning how to install my first tampon with the super unhelpful directions and diagrams that come with the box. Even after twenty years of practice, it still never felt like it was installed right. 🤷♀️
Imagine my surprise about four years back when another woman casually mentioned to me her menstrual cup. Ummm..excuse me..are you getting a drink for your vagina or something?? WTF is a menstrual cup?? Better yet, why has nobody told me, your fellow woman, in all these many menstrating years, that there were other options?? I felt like y’all have been holding out on me, and I don’t want anyone else to go even one more cycle without the period knowledge I’m about to flow upon you. Because the menstrual cup is a GAME CHANGER. 💃🏻
How a menstrual cup will change you:
1. Comfort-Seriously..nothing like the feeling of inserting a tampon on a light flow day and having the experience of pulling that bad boy out at the end of the day..ouch. Also, the leaking..the freaking leaking..why do I even bother with wearing it if it’s still going to ruin my underwear? Don’t worry..these are concerns that I have never had with my menstrual cup!!
2. Better Periods-Because if you’re going to have one every month for 40ish years, might as well make it your best version right? I swear that my periods have been shorter and lighter since I stopped using tampons. Also, the cramps are almost gone and bloating has decreased a lot. I really think a lot of period symptoms are due to all the tampons laced with chemicals. ☠️
3. TSS-See my above mention of the chemical and dye soup that is just begging to attract bacteria into your body from tampons. Also, I used to get UTI’s and yeast infections and haven’t had not a single damn one since I stopped wearing tampons four or so years ago. Coincidence? I think not. 💁♀️
4. Convenience-I used to change tampons every 2-4 hours, and first I had to find another tampon, go buy one if I’m out, and sometimes the only option is the gas station sandpaper ones, and then next was go install it and find a trash bin for the applicator and wrapper. Now I simply just have to bring myself and my cup, and only empty it out every twelve hours. So I do it when I wake up and when I get home..that’s it. I’ve never had it leak during a run or downward dog, and no it doesn’t look like a murder scene when I empty it like the menstrual cup memes make you think. I’ve had one incident where I spilled, and I cleaned that shit up like a good murderer and went about my day. No evidence. No big deal. I would however advise you to leave your four year old son out of the public bathroom with you if you need to empty, because well, they have questions, and loud voices, and they tell EVERYTHING to EVERYONE.
5. Mother Earth-Did you know that each of us menstrating women generates 1,000 lbs of waste in our lifetime from tampons, and the applicators take 500 years to break down?! Ditch the tampons for the turtles!
6. Money-If you go through the average 12,000 tampons in your lifetime, then you will also spend around $4,000 in total. Go get you a $30 menstrual cup that will last you ten years, and invest the rest. Throw that money into a Roth IRA instead of a landfill. 💰
Alright..I know you have questions and I’m not shy..so ask away. 😉
And if you’re sold like I was..link below to change your menstrual life today!